Board logo

International Students

International Students Wanting to Enrol at the Brant Haldimand Norfolk Catholic District School Board (BHNCDSB) 

We appreciate that you may have questions about the  International Student intake process. BHNCDSB staff are working diligently to ensure programs continue to meet our high standards of academic rigour and learner experience. 

Returning from Travel or Entering Ontario

To ensure the safety of all students, as well as the safety of our staff and the greater community, please check Travel and COVID-19: Travel Restrictions, Exemptions and Advice for complete information on all requirements for travellers returning to Ontario or individuals entering Ontario.

We are doing our part to ensure the health and well-being of all members of our community and to keep the City of Brantford and the counties of Brant, Haldimand and Norfolk a safe place for all students to study.


When you arrive in Ontario, please contact the Brant Haldimand Norfolk Catholic District School Board prior to admission to an elementary or secondary school.

During this meeting, the student must submit the following:

  1. A valid Study Permit.
  2. Any documentation requested as part of the Application Process.

Next Steps

Once your application has been approved and your administration fee has been received, we will issue you a Conditional Letter of Acceptance. This letter will enable you to apply to Citizenship, Refugee and Immigration Canada (IRCC) for authorization to enter Canada as a student. If you plan to study in Canada for six months or greater, you must apply for, and receive, a Study Permit from IRCC. Guidelines and an application form can be found on the IRCC website, or at the Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate in your home country. You should contact the Canadian Visa Office in your home country to determine if you need to complete any additional forms or provide any additional documents.

Once you receive your Study Permit from Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada and arrive in Canada, please forward your Study Permit to When the Board receives a copy of your Study Permit, we will issue a Confirmation of Acceptance – International Student to the school you will be attending. It is your responsibility to maintain a valid and current Study Permit for the duration of your attendance at one of our schools. If a Study Permit expires and you are not in possession of further documentation, which will allow you to study in Canada, i.e., permanent resident, extension of parental work permit, you will be asked to withdraw from school immediately.

Applications for the current school year (September to June) should be received at the Brant Haldimand Norfolk Catholic District School Board before June 15. Secondary school applications may be considered for Semester #2 (February) admission prior to October 15.


All elementary international students will be sent to the principal of the attending school prior to admission to a class for determination of grade level and language assistance. 

All secondary international students will be sent to the Student Services Office of the attending school prior to admission to class for determination of grade level and language assistance.


For all elementary and secondary school registrations, visit our BHNCDSB Registration page and work through steps 1-7. Please note that there is additional information on that page that may be important to your family.

Secondary/High School: Visit your secondary school and select the option below that best describes your (your child's) situation.